How to make your own mattress
The right mattress will ensure sound sleep. Manufacturers offer an extensive choice of all kinds of materials with different fillings. Models range from the budget segment to the premium class. In order to take into account all individual needs, you will have to lay out a large sum.
If the amount turns out to be too much for you, there is a way out – to make a mattress with your own hands. This solution will allow you to save money, create a perfect sleeping place for yourself, thereby ensuring a healthy, sound sleep.
There are several types of mattresses that are realistic to make yourself. These include:
- of pillows.
If you have an old worn-out mattress – just get it refurbished, it’s even cheaper!
How to make a mattress from foam rubber with your own hands
Foam (polyurethane foam, PPU) is great as a filler, it is cheap and durable. There are many varieties of foam rubber. They differ in their quality characteristics: density, elasticity, rigidity.
As a filler is ideal for soft, elastic foam rubber, capable of quickly restoring its original shape after use. The quality of polyurethane foam is determined by its density. The filler should have a density in the range of 25 to 40 kg/m3. The manufacture of the frame requires foam rubber with a higher density.
When choosing foam rubber must be sure to consider the marking of the product, choose the product labeled EL (high rigidity, load up to 100 kg inclusive, low price, service life of 5 years), HR or VE (have high air permeability, elasticity, soft enough, the service life of 10 years).
Before you directly get to work, note that for permanent mattresses you will also need spring blocks, for portable ones – only PPU.
To make a foam mattress with your own hands, you will need:
- glue – a special glue for gluing foam (it is not recommended to save on glue, cheap brands can be harmful to health);
- dense foam – the base of the frame, inside which the soft foam (EL, HR or VE) will be placed;
- fabric for sewing the cover.
To make it fits a standard set of tools: tape measure, ruler (for measurements), knife, scissors. The fastest way to make a cover is with a sewing machine, but you can get by with a thread and needle if you don’t have one.
To understand how to make a mattress with your own hands, use the step-by-step instructions.
- Decide on the dimensions.
- Assemble the frame. Its purpose is to give the product the desired shape. Use high-density polyurethane foam (average width 7-8 cm). Cut bars of the required size, place them on a flat surface, liberally lubricate with special glue at the joints.
- Place filler in the prepared frame (use a whole sheet of foam rubber up to 15 cm thick), pre-cutting a piece of suitable size. If you can’t find thick polyurethane foam, take thin sheets (<5 cm) and glue them together.
Is there any sense to purchase a commercial mattress?
Sure! DIY mattresses are a great option for any healthy If you have any health conditions with joints such as hips or lower back, this might be the answer to your problems. For example, I highly recommend the Nolah mattress as the best mattress for side sleepers with hip pain — you simply can’t make such a mattress at home.
Commercial mattresses are great for people with allergies and those who experience severe allergies from different items such as synthetic fibers or foam. And finally, a lot of people still prefer the traditional style and look.
How to make a mattress with orthopedic properties
You need an orthopedic mattress to keep your musculoskeletal system toned. The decision to make a regular foam mattress orthopedic will add a few steps when laying the filler.
In the inner part of the finished frame placed alternately in layers of foam and other materials, it is better to use Struttofiber or coconut coir (control the stiffness of the product, the smaller the layer – the softer), the layers must be carefully connected using adhesive composition, distributing it over the surface.
Another way is to use spring blocks instead of foam to increase strength, but this is more time-consuming and expensive.
A mattress made of pillows with your own hands
The fastest, easiest, and most budget-friendly way to create a sleeping place is a pillow mattress. It is ideal for children’s games, mobile, compact, you can put it on the floor, use it as a chair or a comfortable bed.
- Several pillows (number, size choose at your discretion);
- Canvas or pillowcases;
- Needles and thread (sewing machine).
The creation of the product is done in two ways:
- Lay out the required number of cushions in a row, measure the total length. Multiply the resulting number by 2.2 (the cushions will fit completely in the fabric). Fold the cut fabric in half, stitch (sew) the cushion sections. Place the cushions in the finished sections, then sew up the edges (so the cushions don’t fall out), trim off any excess fabric.
- Take the pillowcases, arrange them so that the holes are on one side, sew them together, then place them inside the pillow (if you wish, the holes in the pillowcases can be sewn up).
How to restore an old mattress with your own hands
Over time, anything loses its original properties, wears out. Dents appear in mattresses, springs burst, the cover tears.
You can get rid of these problems by buying a new one (which is quite expensive), or reconstruct the old one.
You will need:
- Thread, needle.
- Scissors, a knife.
- If necessary: slats, springs, twine.
- Hammer, large nails, stapler, staples.
Further action depends on the degree of wear and tear.
- Lightweight. After opening the upholstery, assess the integrity of the springs. Replace some of them, tighten the other with twine. Replace the filler (if desired – the cover).
- Labor-intensive. You will need independent spring blocks of the right size. Layout the blocks vertically, paying attention to the level of springs (should be the same). Fix the bottom part to the slats of similar size. On the end side of the bed, hammer in the nails (keep the level of the spring rows).
Once finished, tie the springs with sturdy twine. Start with the transverse row, continue lengthwise, and finish by tying diagonally. Cover the top with a dense fabric, on it – the desired filling (sintepon, foam rubber, etc.). The last step is upholstery, fix the material with a furniture stapler.
Sewing the cover
A mandatory attribute of any mattress is a cover. Sewing a mattress cover will not take much time, the technology is simple and straightforward.
Materials for work:
- Any dense fabric.
- An elastic band.
- Safety pin (English).
- Measuring tape, pencil, ruler.
- Sewing machine.
Measure the length, width of the mattress, the height of the rim. You can draw a pattern on a piece of paper. The material for the cover should completely cover the top and sides. Do not forget to allow 15 cm on each side.
Lay the fabric on the mattress, carefully fold the corners and secure with a pin. Carefully remove the fabric, stitch the corners of the machine. On the wrong side of the folded fabric, stitch underarm seam (wide enough to fit an elastic band). Stitch through the seam with an elastic band. The pouch is ready.
How to reduce a mattress at home
In some cases it may be necessary to remake the mattress, for example, its size may not fit the bed, it may be too high.
If there are no springs in the product, the task is extremely simple – cut the seams and remove unnecessary filler material. Carry out the work as accurately as possible. After removing the excess stitch the seams.
If springs are present, you will have to remove the excess spring block to reduce the height.
Creating a mattress with their own hands is not complicated at all, suitable for fans of manual labor. All the necessary materials are widely available, inexpensive, and the technology of production does not cause difficulties.
As a result, you get an “ideal” sleeping place, which fully meets your requirements and wishes, saves money, leads to a night of healthy, sound sleep.